This Rakuten Travel Arranged Tour Terms and Conditions (“Tour Terms and Conditions”) is known as the “Contract Document” set forth in Article 12, Paragraph 4 of the Travel Agency Act, and becomes part of Article 12, Paragraph 5 of the Act when a Tour Contract agreement is executed.
The terms defined in the Rakuten, Inc. Standard Terms and Conditions of Travel Contracts (hereinafter referred to as “Company Terms and Conditions”) shall be used with the Tour Terms and Conditions.
- Article 1 (Arranged Tour Contract)
- 1. An “Arranged Tour Contract” as stated in the Tour Terms and Conditions means a contract under which the Company (defined below), commissioned by the Customer, makes arrangements so that the Customer can receive services for transportation, accommodation, and other services for travel (hereinafter referred to as “Travel Services”) provided by transportation/accommodation services and/or facilities (hereinafter referred to as “Travel Service Provider”) by acting as a representative, as an intermediary, or as an agent, on behalf of the Customer.
2. The Customer and the travel company (hereinafter referred to as “the Company”) to which the customer applies for travel among the following companies will enter a travel contract (hereinafter referred to as “Tour Contract”).
● Rakuten, Inc.
Rakuten Crimson House
1-14-1 Tamagawa, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo
Licensed by Japan Tourism Agency, License No. 1964
- 3. In arranging a booking, the Company will charge a travel business handling fee (hereinafter referred to as “Handling Fee”) in addition to the fare, fee, and other expenses (hereinafter referred to as “Travel Expenses”) paid to the Travel Service Provider. Refer to the separate “Travel Business Handling Fee Schedule” for a list of handling fees.
- 4. When the Company has made arrangements for Travel Services, the performance of the Company’s obligations based on the Tour Contract is deemed completed. Accordingly, even if the Customer was unable to enter into an agreement with a Travel Service Provider for providing Travel Services, the Customer must pay to the Company the aforementioned Handling Fee if the Company has fulfilled its obligations.
- 5. The contents and conditions of the Tour Contract shall be in accordance with the Tour Terms and Conditions and Company Terms and Conditions.
- Article 2 (Application for Contract and Establishment of Tour Contract)
- 1. A Customer who intends to enter into a Tour Contract with the Company must fill out and submit a contract online (hereinafter referred to as “Online Input”) in a method prescribed by the Company on the Rakuten Travel website (hereinafter referred to as “Website”), an internet travel reservation website operated by Rakuten, Inc., and does not have to pay an application fee at that time.
- 2. A Tour Contract is established when the Customer agrees to the content of the Tour Contract and Tour Terms and Conditions, etc. of the reservation displayed on the page (hereinafter referred to as “Reservation Content Display Page”) as described in the Tour Terms and Conditions and Website, and applies for a contract that is approved by the Company. The Company shall inform the Customer that a reservation has been established immediately upon approval of the contract.
- 3. When the Customer enters his/her name in Roman characters in Paragraph 1, the name shall be entered as stated in their passport. (If the Customer’s name is incorrectly entered, the Travel Service Provider must be contacted. The Tour Contract may be canceled if a name correction is not received by the Travel Service Provider. In such case, the Company will charge the prescribed cancellation fee. Please be careful when using Online Input.)
- Article 3 (Application Conditions)
- 1. If the Customer is under 20 years of age at the time of application, consent of a person with parental authority is required.
- 2. To apply for an overseas air ticket, if the Customer is under 17 years of age at the time of the reservation, a guardian over the age of 20 years old must accompany the Customer on the same travel reservation.
- 3. The Company shall display the following items on the Reservation Content Display Page which shall be deemed to comprise part of the Tour Terms and Conditions: (1) Travel Service Provider used and contents of Travel Services; (2) Itinerary; (3) Travel fee and other expenses normally required for travel; (4) Cancellation fee, change fee, and other conditions for changing or canceling a Tour Contract presented by the Travel Service Provider; (5) Applicable precautions, when there are special precautions regarding safety or hygiene in the place of travel or surroundings; (6) Other travel conditions.
- 4. The Customer shall make a tour application after confirming and agreeing to the items displayed in the preceding Paragraph, the Tour Terms and Conditions, Standard Terms and Conditions of Travel Contracts, and the separately provided Rakuten Travel Terms and Conditions.
- 5. After establishing a Tour Contract, the Company will display each item of Article 3 on a page (hereinafter referred to as “”) for the Customer to confirm the content of the reservation.
- 6. Some Travel Service Providers may have conditions for making an application. These conditions are described on the Product Details Information Page. Travel Service Providers may change or cancel a booking for Customers who make an application but who do not meet these conditions. If necessary, the Company may make changes or cancellations on behalf of the Travel Service Provider.
- 7. Futhermore, the Company may not approve an application due to other circumstances of the Company’s business.
- Article 4 (Issuance of Terms and Conditions Explanation Screen and Contarct Document)
- 1. The Company presents the items described in the Tour Terms and Conditions (including each item of Article 3, Paragraph 3 described in the Reservation Content Display Page and ) on the Website in lieu of issuing a confirmation document, which the Customer shall always confirm and save at the time of making an application. The Customer agrees that the Company will notify them of the content of the contract by this method.
- 2. The Company will issue the documents describing the items stated in this Tour Terms and Conditions by mail, facsimile, etc. when the Customer applies for a reservation to the Accommodation Reservation Center. However, this is not limited to such cases where the Customer indicates it is unnecessary to issue documents.
- Article 5 (Payment of Travel Fee)
- 1. Travel fee refers to the expense (“Travel Services Fee”) paid to the Travel Service Provider for Travel Services arranged by the Company and the prescribed travel business handling fee of the Company (excluding a fee for procedures for making a change as well as that for making a cancellation).
- 2. The travel fee of this Tour Terms and Conditions shall be paid by one of the methods selected by the Customer from the selectable methods displayed below on the Reservation Content Display Page. (1) A method of directly paying the Travel Service Provider according to the deadline and method specified by the Travel Service Provider. In such case, payment of travel fee by the Customer to the Company is unnecessary. (However, the Travel Service Provider may request the Customer’s credit card information as a deposit.) (2) A method of paying by credit card to the Company (or those who act on the Company’s behalf in accordance with Article 4 of the Company Terms and Conditions) based on a Communications Contract (defined in Article 6). (3) A method of paying at a convenience store affiliated with the Company. (4) Other method when separately provided on the Reservation Content Display Page.
- 3. If paying by the method in Item (3) of the preceding Paragraph, the Customer must pay the travel fee by the due date displayed on the Reservation Content Display Page.
- 4. The Customer shall not be able to individually settle the travel fee for multiple Travel Services issued with the same reservation number.
- 5. Additional costs to be paid at the Customer’s expense (including but not limited to change/cancellation fees, airport taxes, fuel surcharges, etc.) due to changes in the contents of the Tour Contract, revision of transportation fees, and fluctuations in exchange rates, shall be paid to the Company in accordance with the method and procedure prescribed by the Company.
- 6. If the contents of the Tour Contract are changed, canceled, or transportation fees reduced or canceled, the Company shall settle the account by the method and procedure prescribed by the Company.
- Article 6 (Communications Contract)
- 1. “Communication Contract” means a Tour Contract concluded after accepting a travel application by Online Input with a credit card company (including cases where the Customer is affiliated through a credit card settlement agent contracted with the Company) partnered with the Company (or those who act on behalf of the Company pursuant to Article 4 of the Company Terms and Conditions; the same shall apply hereinafter in this Article) on condition that it receives payment of the travel fee, etc., from a member’s (hereinafter referred to as “Member”) credit card without the signature of the member on a prescribed slip. (For example, when the method of payment for the travel fee is by credit card, if there is an application by a Travel Service Provider requesting the customer’s credit card information as a deposit, etc.)
- 2. In addition to the Communications Contract of a regular Tour Contract, the Communications Contract shall comply with the following conditions: (1) At the time of application, the Customer shall notify the Company of the name of the card, membership number, card expiration date, etc. by the prescribed method of the Company; (2) The date on which the Customer and the Company shall perform the payment of the travel fee, etc. or payment return obligation (Card Use Day) based on the Communications Contract shall be as follows: i. The contract establishment date regarding the travel fee to be paid by the Member; ii. The date the Company notified the Member of the payment amount regarding additional costs that the Member should pay; iii. The date the Company notified the Member of the refund amount regarding the refund that the Company should pay. (3) The Company can refuse to conclude a Communications Contract or cancel a Tour Contract if settlement cannot be completed with the Customer’s credit card.
- Article 7 (Change in Tour Contract Contents)
- 1. If the Customer requests the Company to change the itinerary, the contents of Travel Services, or other contents of the Tour Contract, the Company will comply with the request to the reasonably practical extent.
- 2. If the Customer requests a change referred to in the preceding Paragraph, the Customer shall make a change request on the of the Website. However, if a change cannot be made on said page, the relevant Travel Service Provider shall be contacted directly. The contact information described on the e-ticket shall be used to contact for overseas air tickets.
- 3. The Customer shall pay the change fee, penalty, etc. incurred from changing the contents of the travel in Paragraph 1 in accordance with the cancellation policy (hereinafter referred to as “Displayed Cancellation Policy”) described on the Reservation Content Display Page. As a rule, the Displayed Cancellation Policy is based on the terms or provisions of the Travel Service Provider, but said terms may differ if there is a special agreement with said Travel Service Provider, in which case the Displayed Cancellation Policy shall prevail.
- 4. Any increase or reduction in the fee for Travel Services resulting from the change in the contents of the Tour Contract in Paragraph 1 shall be attributed to the Customer.
- 5. If a change is to be made in Paragraph 1, the Customer must pay a Handling Fee prescribed by the Company.
- Provisions regarding changes, change fee/change service fee depend on the Travel Services applied for. Be sure to check the cancellation policy described on the Reservation Content Display Page.
Article 8 (Voluntary Cancellation of Tour Contract by the Customer)
1. The Customer may cancel the Tour Contract in whole or in part at any time, subject to payment of the expenses of the following items:
i. Expenses of Travel Services already received by the Customer;
ii. Expenses that should be paid to the Travel Service Provider as a cancellation fee and penalty concerning Travel Services the Customer has not yet received;
iii. Cancellation fee prescribed by the Company.
- 2. If the Customer wishes to cancel under the preceding Paragraph, the Customer shall make a change request on the of the Website. However, if a change cannot be made on said page, the relevant Travel Service Provider shall be contacted directly. The contact information described on the e-ticket shall be used to contact for overseas air tickets.
- 3. The Customer shall pay the cancellation fee, penalty, etc. incurred from canceling the Tour Contract in Paragraph 1 in accordance with the Displayed Cancellation Policy described on the Reservation Content Display Page. The same shall apply if Travel Services have not been received. As a rule, the Displayed Cancellation Policy is based on the agreement of the Travel Service Provider, but said agreement may differ if there is a special agreement with said Travel Service Provider, in which case the Displayed Cancellation Policy shall prevail.
- 4. If a cancellation is to be made in Paragraph 1, the Customer must pay a Handling Fee prescribed by the Company.
- Provisions regarding cancellations and change fees/change service fees depend on the Travel Services applied for. Be sure to check the cancellation policy described on the Reservation Content Display Page.
Article 9 (Cancellation of Tour Contract Due To a Cause Attributable to the Company)
- The Customer may cancel the Tour Contract if it has become impossible to make arrangements for Travel Services due to causes attributable to the Company.
- Article 10 (Responsibility of the Company)
- 1. The scope of the Company’s responsibility shall be limited to the conduct of arrangements described in Article 1 unless otherwise specified.
- 2. In performing a Tour Contract, if the Company or its agent, causes damage to a Customer intentionally or by negligence, the Company shall be responsible for compensating for the damage, provided that the Company is notified within 2 years of the day following the date of occurrence of such damage.
3. If a Customer has incurred damage due to a natural disaster, a war, a riot, suspension of the provision of Travel Services by a Travel Service Provider, cancellation of a reservation due to overbooking by a Travel Service Provider, an order of a government or other public offices, or any other cause (as shown in the examples below) in which the Company or the Arrangements Agent of the Company is unable to intervene, the Company shall not be responsible for compensating for the damage.
● If the flight departure is canceled by a natural disaster, war, riot, flight delay, strike, etc. or if the itinerary is changed; ● If the reservation is canceled due to overbooking by the airline or boarding is refused; ● If the reservation is canceled because the Customer neglected to reconfirm the reservation and departure time 72 hours before the departure flight (or return flight), or the air ticket is invalid; ● If the Customer is late for the meeting time or check-in time, the boarding procedure cannot be done, or if it is not possible to board the scheduled flight after the boarding procedure; ● If the customer has lost or their air ticket, etc. or it is stolen; ● If a flight cannot be boarded or a country cannot be exited or entered under the Immigration Control Act of Japan or other country due to an insufficient passport validity period and lack of visa; ● If the name described on the passport and the name on the air ticket are different and boarding is refused; ● If the Customer does not board or misses the scheduled flight reserved due to the Customer’s circumstances, and the air ticket becomes invalid because subsequent reservations were canceled.
- 4. Notwithstanding the provisions of Paragraph 2, for the damage caused to baggage referred to in the same Paragraph, the Company shall compensate within the limits of 150,000 yen per Customer (except in a case where the damage was due to intention or gross negligence on the part of the Company), provided that the Company has been notified of the damage within 21 days in case of Overseas Travel (within 14 days in case of Domestic Travel) of the day following the date of occurrence of such damage.
- Article 11 (Responsibility of Customer)
- 1. If the Company has incurred any damage caused by a Customer, intentionally or by negligence, who violates laws and ordinances, or engages in any act that is against public order and morals, the Customer shall compensate the Company for such damage.
- 2. In concluding a Tour Contract, a Customer shall endeavor to understand the rights and obligations of the Customer, as well as other contents of the Tour Contract, making good use of the information supplied by the Company.
- 3. In order to smoothly receive the Travel Services mentioned in the items on the Website in accordance with Article 4 Paragraph 1 (these provisions referred to as “Contract Document”), should a Customer have realized that Travel Services different from those mentioned in the Contract Document have been provided after the commencement of the travel, he/she must promptly notify the Arrangements Agent of the Company or the Travel Service Provider concerned to that effect.
- Article 12 (Matters to be Performed by Customer Before Departure)
- 1. For overseas travel, the Customer is responsible for obtaining a passport with the necessary period of validity for travel, visas, re-entry permits, and various certificates, and preparing entry and re-entry procedure documents. The Company does not perform agent or other services for immigration procedures in whole or in part.
- 2. Please check the Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare quaratinable infectious disease information website (in Japanese) when traveling abroad for the state of hygiene at the destination.
- 3. Depending on the destination (country or region), information on traveling in the country/region, such as “MOFA Overseas Travel Safety Information,” may be issued, and the Customer is urged to check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Overseas Travel Safety website.
- 4. During an overseas travel, it is recommended that the Customer register with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ “Tabiregi” (in Japanese) system to receive information concerning safety, such as emergency situations, during the period of travel.
- Article 13 (Other)
- 1. Airline miles The Customer shall be responsible for inquiring about the service, registration, etc., of the airline mileage service concerning the membership program between the customer and airline. The Company assumes no responsible for air mileage.
- 2. Airline checked baggage fee There is a limit on the weight of baggage that can be checked free of charge, and payment of an excess baggage fee is required when said limit is exceeded. Please check with the airline as the limit differs with the flight and airline.
3. Name of application
Please enter the name of your application as spelled on your passport. Please note that correction of the spelling, age, sex of the passenger, or swapping of the Traveler, will be treated as a cancellation, not a change, and will be subject to a cancellation fee/cancellation service charge.
Revised: October 29, 2018
Appendix: Travel Business Handling Fee Schedule
|Type of Travel Service||Unit||Handling Fee
|Handling Fee||Change procedure fee||Cancellation procedure fee|
|Oversea air ticket||1 case/person||*Less than 5,400 yen||5,400 yen||5,400 yen|
*Actual fee will be displayed in booking step page
Services that do not have a set Handling Fee are not listed.
If a Tour Contract is canceled due to the Customer’s circumstances, the Handling Fee is non-refundable regardless of the date before or after the cancellation occurs.
Unless stated that it is “changeable” at the time of application, when changing tickets, all air tickets shall be treated as canceled, payment of the refund prescribed by the transportation facility made, and the reservation resubmitted. Upon refund, the Customer shall pay the Company cancellation and change procedure fee of 5,400 yen (consumption tax included) per ticket separately from the refund of the transportation facility.
Rakuten Crimson House
1-14-1 Tamagawa, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo
Licensed by Japan Tourism Agency, License No. 1964
This document is a translation of Japanese original and provided only for your information.